Over 16 million kids in America struggle with hunger. (That’s enough kids to fill over 200,000 school buses!) But you can help and it’s as simple wearing the color orange!
Orange is not just the color of Team No Kid Hungry; it’s actually the color of hunger awareness. On September 24th join Team No Kid Hungry, young celebrities like Amandla Stenberg, FCCLA students, nonprofit partners, and individuals like YOU in Go Orange for No Kid Hungry.
Go Orange for No Kid Hungry is a national effort to raise awareness about the 1 in 5 kids who face hunger every day. Get you school, sports team, youth group, friends and family involved by planning to wear orange on the same day. While rocking the color orange, help raise even more awareness by snapping a photo and sharing it with your Facebook Friends. Don’t forget to also share your photos on the No Kid Hungry 2 Facebook page.
2013 Go Orange for No Kid Hungry Essay Contest
Your letters will make a difference. Team No Kid Hungry will be sharing all submissions with local and national leaders across the nation. Consider making a BIGGER impact by taking the following actions:
- Mail (or email) a copy of your letter to your representative. It will have a bigger impact if you send your own letter. You can find your representative’s contact information here.
- Send a handwritten letter to team No Kid Hungry. Handwritten letters can be a powerful tool and we’d love to have yours. Feel free to include a picture too. Please mail your letter to:Share Our Strength
Attention: Sylvia Vidal
1730 M Street
Washington, DC 20036
- Email email@example.com a photo of yourself holding this No Kid Hungry sign. Fill in the white space by writing your state, city and/or school name.
- Get busy on social media. “Like” No Kid Hungry on Facebook and follow us on twitter. Also consider following your representative. Upload a video of yourself reading your essay on YouYube. Share photos of yourself Going Orange for No Kid Hungry on Facebook.
Prizes, sponsored by Sodexo Foundation:
- First place: $500 scholarship, $500 donation to a child hunger nonprofit of your choice and your school will be awarded $1,000 to use towards classroom expenses.
- Second Place: $250 Scholarship, $250 donation to a child hunger nonprofit of your choice.
- Third Place: $75 scholarship, $75 donation to a child hunger nonprofit of your choice.
Your Words Can End Childhood Hunger: Write a letter to a local or national leader- for example, your congressperson, superintendent, or mayor, telling them why ending childhood hunger in America is important to you and ask them to take action.
Teachers: Make the No Kid Hungry letter-writing campaign part of your curriculum with standards-aligned lesson plans for:
2012 Go Orange for No Kid Hungry Essay Contest Winners
Congratulations to last years winners!
Grand Prize: Natasha Suri
No Kid Hungry
A great first step to helping to end childhood hunger is to take the No Kid Hungry Pledge. By taking the pledge, you are adding your voice to the movement of people committed to ending childhood hunger in America.
HUNGER AFFECTS 16.2 MILLION AMERICAN KIDS – THAT’S 1 IN 5 – BUT YOU CAN HELP!
Wearing orange is just one way to help raise awareness for No Kid Hungry. Check out more ways to get involved.
Make Breakfast Coolhour
Eating breakfast is the most important meal, yet millions of kids across America don't get the food they need to start their day off on the right foot.Get Started Now!
“Hunger Hits Home”thirty
Watch a 40 minute Food Network documentary about hunger in America.Get Started Now!
Birthdays for No Kid Hungryhour
Dedicate your birthday to No Kid Hungry and ask for donations instead of presents.Get Started Now!
Bake Sale for No Kid Hungryhour
Hosting a bake sale is a fun way to raise money for No Kid Hungry.Get Started Now!
Coins (or Dollars) for Kidshour
Everyone has plenty of loose change in their pockets or purse.Get Started Now!